Monday, August 8, 2011

Lucille Ball [I Love Lucy]

Happy 100th B-DAY Lucille Ball 
August 6, 1911









In the words of Betty White, "No matter how many tears we cry today, the laughs will outnumber them." (on Lucy's death)
Yesterday, August 6, 1911, a girl from a small town in New York was born and like all other babies at the time... Her name was Lucille Ball, and she is and forever will be a star lighting up the entire world full of love and laughter. Her red hair gained her the nickname "Ball of Fire" and her fire will never go out. No television show in history has been as popular, long-lasting, unforgettable, captivating, and magical as "I Love Lucy". I Love Lucy is a place people constantly want to come home to. The cast members are people you would like to have as friends, or neighbors, or even landlords. It's all about love and fun and adventure and family--so simple yet magical.
Lucille Ball has been one of the most influential women in my lifetime (and millions of others). She inspires me endlessly. She had the strongest work ethic and followed all of her dreams. The words giving up were not in her vocabulary. It took her nearly 40 years to reach her true stardom with the show "I Love Lucy". This is proof that if you give your all, let no one bring you down, never give up, and work for it you can make your dreams come true. The best things in life will forever be worth the wait.
When I was a toddler, one of the first words I ever spoke was "Lucy". Even as a young child I could appreciate and laugh with Lucy and the gang. I talked about Lucy all the time to the point where my mom and dad started calling me Lucy! As I got  little older my love for Lucy increased. I had all sorts of Lucy memorabilia. My parents bought me books on Lucy, I Love Lucy stamps, the Lucy Barbie doll pictured above, and more. 
When I was 17, I dressed up as Lucy for Halloween. I still love Lucy and always will. As I grow up and work for my goals and dreams, there are times when life seems impossible and things get frustrating. Lucy may not be alive, however she is with me (and you) in spirit. She taught me that I can dream as big as my imagination desires, set the highest goals, and aspire to greatness. The best things don't come easy and it's never simple but always always always worth it. And when I am having a bad day, I can count on Lucy to cheer me up as I watch her do silly things with Ethel and get into messes with Desi, bringing me instant happiness and laughter.
Funny story... in the fifth grade at recess, I was going on about Lucy and Desi and what a cute couple they were. I remember telling my friends I thought it was neat that they were married in real life too. My friend Gabrielle informed me that Lucy and Desi got divorced after the show. I was stunned. I couldn't, wouldn't, didn't want to believe it. Needless to say, my heart ached at this idea that the perfect couple-Ricky and Lucy Ricardo-didn't live a fairy tale reality. 
I've read multiple biographies about Lucille, Desi, and I Love Lucy and am comforted and content with the divorce. Many people were outraged with it at the time. The truth is you don't know what goes on behind the scenes. It pleased me that Lucy and Desi remained close friends until their deaths. They changed this world for the better and will be remembered universally by people of all backgrounds, ages, cultures, etc. For this I am grateful.
I Lucy. I Love I Love Lucy. I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE Lucy to infinity and beyond. 
I highly suggest the following books about Lucy, I Love Lucy, and Desi if you are a Lucy fanatic as I am.
*Ball of Fire: The Tumultuous Life & Comic Art of Lucille Ball by Stefan Kanfer
*Love, Lucy by Lucille Ball
*A Book by Desi Arnaz
*I Love Lucy by Elisabeth Edwards

Lucy-isms & Quotes
"Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead."

"Luck to me means hard-work and realizing what is opportunity and what isn't."

"The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age."

"In life, all good things come hard, but wisdom is the hardest to find."

"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced."

"One of the things I learned the hard way was that it doesn't pay to get discouraged. Keeping busy and making optimism a way of life can restore your faith in yourself."

"I'm not funny. What I am is brave."

"You have to love yourself first and then everything else falls into line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done."

"Ability is of little account without opportunity."

"It's a helluva start, being able to recognize what makes you happy."

"I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done."

"The more things you do, the more you can do."

This is my absolute favorite episode of I Love Lucy. 
Vitameatvegamin
What is your all time favorite episode of Lucy? You got some 'splainin to do- Comment below! 
Babaloo!

No comments:

Post a Comment