Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Sleepless in Seattle (well I wish the latter part of that sentence was true).

I am sleepless, but unfortunately not in Seattle. I cannot sleep to save my life. I have had insomnia for years. I can't stand it. I try so hard to sleep but my mind keeps racing in circles. So I'm going to vent about it here and find some inspiration (maybe? haha) in the situation. I just re-read an incredible book by Jodi Picoult called Nineteen Minutes and I recommend it. There was a quote in there that describes exactly the type of things I think about when I can't sleep: "Do you know there are moments when the world moves so slowly you can feel your bones shifting, your mind tumbling? When you think that no matter what happens to you for the rest of your life, you will remember every last detail of that one minute forever?" Yeah my mind races with those thoughts and homework and planning things that never happen and other pointless things that keep me awake. 
     Have you ever noticed how the world looks through a raindrop stuck on a window? Everything's an upside down blur and sometimes I feel like that's what my life feels like. Especially late at night, like right now when I cannot sleep. I am completely exhausted but my mind won't stop. When you have insomnia, you're never really asleep and you're never really awake.
     Um wow this is going to be the most random blog entry I've ever (and probably will ever) post. Here are some random facts.
*A one-minute kiss burns 26 calories.
*Frowning burns more calories than smiling.
*The average dream lasts only 2 to 3 seconds.
*Twinkle Twinkle Little Star was composed by Mozart when he was 5 years old.
*The first typewriter was called "literary piano".
*A male firefly's light is twice as bright as a females.
*If you walk and talk with someone, eventually you will synchronize your steps with each other.
OHHH! And I read the cutest "fact" the other day. I am not sure if it's true, but I've heard studies based on it and cases where it's been proved to be of truth. Anyways, it makes me smile and so here is the quote.
"If you were to press your heart up against somebody else's heart, eventually your hearts will start beating at the same time. And two little babies in an incubator, their hearts will beat at the same time. Love that. So if you have somebody in your life that is prone to anxiety, like myself, and if you happen to be a calm person you could come up and hug me heart to heart and my heart hopefully would slow down to yours. And I just love that idea or maybe yours would speed up to mine. But either way, we'll be there together."
      Here is some more useless information for you haha...
*The roar that we hear when we place a seashell next to our ear isn't the ocean but rather the sound of blood surging through the veins in the ear.
*The verb "cleave" is the only English word with two synonyms which are antonyms of each other: adhere and separate.
*It cost 7 million dollars to build the Titanic and 200 million to make a film about it.
*Every day 200 million couples make love, 400,000 babies are born, and 140,000 people die.
*The pupil of the eye expands as much as 45 percent when a person looks at something pleasing.
Well I can't really think of anything positive or inspiring about insomnia, but hopefully reading this random post made you smile or made you tired because you found it ridiculous. I'll leave you with this quote by Dale Carnegie.
"If you can't sleep, then get up and do something instead of lying there and worrying. It's the worry that gets you, not the loss of sleep."

No comments:

Post a Comment