Monday, December 11, 2017

Expectation
















Steps To Avoid Not Ending Up Disappointed
Step 1: Don't think the possibilities are endless and dream up cutesy scenarios.
Step 2: Don't ever expect things to be even close to the movies. Ever.
Step 3: Don't expect anything.
Step 4: Expect the worst because then things will be better than your expectations.

I wrote that list in 2011. 
I find humor in my twenty two year old self.
I think it's easier said that done to avoid expectations.
I think we confuse expectation for dreams.
You should never stop dreaming and creating and making goals and making your time count...
However, as Shakespeare famously said, "Expectation is the root of all heartache."
Aint that the truth. Expectation leads to entitlement and down a spiral of heartache. It's unrealistic. It makes people bitter and resentful. 
It's up to you to choose how you view this life, what you think, and the choices you make.
I am happy when I am helping others, when I am meeting new people or spending time with the ones who've always been there for me and forever will be, when I'm writing, when I'm learning, when I'm loving, when I burst out laughing, when I discover a new song [especially if it's Taylor Swift], when I go to church or the temple, when I strengthen my spirituality, when I finish a good book, when I wake up and feel relaxed. I'm overwhelmed with gratitude to have friends, family, pets, the Atonement, the gospel, a job, a home, food, education, hot water when I shower. I love being able to live and see the seasons change, to have gifts at Christmas and my birthday, to travel sometimes, to have limitless opportunities. I'm flattered when people smile at me, are kind, and compliment me. There are countless things that make life beautiful and good and I will always think about them more than all the bad things that have happened to me. 
We do not have time to be sad every day or ungrateful at unmet expectations.
We cannot just expect to be happy or expect love to come into our lives or expect anything.
We have to make things happen. I believe in a mixture of fate, destiny, and choice. 
We have every reason in the world to be happy. 
Yes there is evil in this world. There are tragedies all around us constantly. People war with others and themselves. 
We have to choose to get by reliving the blissful adventurous, silly, heart wrenching, magical memories we made in the past until we can be together and create even more enchanting, breathtaking, unforgettable memories in the present to make our own version of heaven on earth. The only things worth fighting for are love, freedom, and happiness. 
Whatever you are looking for with all of your heart is looking for you too. Patience. 
The three W's that Brie and I came up with back when we were in high school: Waiting + Wishing + Working=Worth IT.
The future turns out to be something that you make instead of find.





<W/L3 [with love],
C

No comments:

Post a Comment